Street of Port au Prince
Popular Library Resources for Haitian Studies
- CIA World Factbook on Haiti
- International Human Development Indicators for Haiti based on data compiled by the United Nations
- World Bank facts and statistics on Haiti
- Subject searches in Josiah which start with the term "Haiti" or Saint-Domingue" are a good way to begin browsing library materials. In the University Library, resources on Haiti are classified and shelved in the F1900-1941 range.To find primary sources at the John Carter Brown Library or the John Hay Library, go to "limit your search" and select one of these libraries.
The Haitian Revolution: Curriculum developed for teaching Haitian history in schools with scholars' videos by Anthony Bogues (Brown University), Patrick Sylvain (Brown University) and Alex Dupuy (Wesleyan University) as part of the Choices Program sponsored by the Watson Institute.
- Haitian Creole-English bilingual dictionary by Albert Valdman is considered the most authoritative bilingual Haitian Creole-English dictionary
- A Learner's dictionary of Haitian Creole is a condensed version of Valdman's bilingual dictionary
Beginning Your Search
You may want to start with the Library Search Box, where you can look for books, articles, journal, and databases from a single keyword search. If you wish, you can use Boolean search terms (AND, OR, NOT) to focus your search but be sure to capitalize them as demonstrated below:
A keyword search will turn up two results screens. On the left side are books, ebooks, and archival material, and on the right side are a variety of subscription holdings, including journal articles. To focus your search, click on the Filter button on either side and choose how you'd like to narrow down your list of results or click on one of the suggested subject headings that appear at the top of the page.
It is important to note that the Library Search Box will NOT return articles that are unavailable online at Brown, so if you wish to do a comprehensive search, you should also check the subject databases.
Are you new to humanities research? Take a look at our Humanities Research Guide, which will help you through the process from beginning your search to writing the paper.